I hope that you’re still reaching for your new year resolutions, because it’s time that I evaluate mine. I have to be honest. It is SO hard for me to start a new routine or try for a change in habit. Whether it’s eating the wrong foods or sleeping too much, I need a reality check. I can say all day long that I’m trying, but it’s not good enough. I turned thirty recently, and I thought would be the push I needed to change for good. I can’t say that it has been easy, but I’m working toward new lifelong habits that revolve around healthy options. I’m not obsessing over everything that I eat, but I am striving for healthy options. One area that is difficult to deal with is morning and afternoon snacks. In order to stay satiated until my next meal, I’ve turned to Sunsweet® products for both AM and PM snacks.
Whether it’s breakfast or a mid-morning snack, I’ve been experimenting with smoothies lately. They’re easy to make, and I seem to always have “the right” ingredients. A cold beverage is ideal for our humid Florida mornings, and this is one habit I hope to keep. Enjoying a smoothie every day can help boost my energy and will push me toward meeting my daily fruit and vegetable intake. For this particular smoothie, I used Sunsweet® PlumSmart® Light.
The flavor of the Sunsweet® PlumSmart® Light was, in fact, light. It was sweet without being overpowering, and it complemented my other smoothie ingredients just right. Here’s how to make your own:
- 1 and a half cups of Sunsweet® PlumSmart® Light
- 1 bag of frozen mixed berries (strawberry, blueberry blend)
- *You can substitute with just strawberries or just blueberries.
- Add ingredients to a blender and mix to combine to desired thickness.
- Stir and serve immediately!
I used mixed berries for my smoothie, and I’ve been loving using frozen fruit in my blends. My smoothie blends EXTRA cold, and it’s perfect! This recipe made one large glass full of plum deliciousness, and I highly recommend it! This juice is made from a special variety of fresh, juicy plums and has only 60 calories and 15g of carbs, and helps you stay fit on the inside by providing a good source of fiber. PlumSmart Light is a great addition to a smoothie.
Another way to add a healthy snack to your day is this plum trail mix with Sunsweet® Amaz!n™ Diced Prunes.
I am a creature of habit, so all my trail mixes include chocolate chips and almonds. I did spice it up with edamame this time, and the Sunsweet® Amaz!n™ Diced Prunes were a fun addition. The sweet flavor worked with the other ingredients, and it added a unique texture to my typical trail mix snack.
Plum Trail Mix Recipe
If you want to recreate this trail mix on your own, try using one bag of Sunsweet® Amaz!n™ Diced Prunes with a cup each of your favorite ingredients. Consider pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chocolate chips, peanuts, cashews, almonds, edamame, or any other energy boosting treats you can think of.
Grab a handful of these delicious diced prunes for nutritious snacking. Toss them in cereal, oatmeal, salad or your favorite recipes for added flavor and fiber. One serving of Amaz!n Diced Prunes is a good source of fiber for only 100 calories. Add to your favorite snacking recipe for extra fiber and a fruit flavor boost.
Studies suggest the following positive effects from certain nutrients in prunes:
- Bone Health: Prunes may promote healthy bones. Dr. Bahram H. Arjmandi of Florida State University says, “Dried plums (prunes) are the most bone-friendly fruit that I have seen in decades. They are nature’s solution to maintaining good bone health.” Dr. Arjmandi hypothesizes that the many compounds and nutrients contained in prunes, such as vitamin K, potassium, copper and boron, likely work synergistically to have this positive effect. Additional research is currently being conducted to learn more about prunes and bone health.
- Potassium: Potassium may help prevent hypertension and stroke and play a role in helping support cell energy by regulating fluid balance, nerve impulses and muscle contraction to increase energy.
- Fiber: A diet containing foods with fiber can replace fats and sweets, and contributes to heart health.
- Regularity: A fiber rich diet may contribute to maintaining a consistent digestive tract which helps lead to improved digestive health.
Do you like plums or prunes? How do you add a healthy snack to your daily routine?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.