Wild Wedding: Getting Tattooed

I am not what I would call a “tattoo person.” Sure, I love them…but I never considered myself one! I had previously just one tattoo (a dove with a heart on my hip), and I had thought that would be all. However, with the wedding coming closer…. I wanted to do something fun. Adventurous? Crazy? I’m not sure. I knew that I wanted to surprise Scott in a way that was romantic…and you can NOT surprise this guy.

He really likes this song by a band that you’ve probably never heard of — Big D & the Kids Table. I have listened to them (because of Scott), and we both really liked this one song “Describe the Sky.” It’s cute, happy, fun. He at one time wanted to have our first dance to this… but I shot that idea down. Too fast for a cute first dance! So, in an effort to just… show him how I felt or whatever… I asked him what his favorite lyrics were. He didn’t hesitate and he answered “Forever your fighting partner.”

And that was that. I made an appointment at a tattoo place in Ybor city (1603 Tattoos), and I left a little while later with a forever testament to Scott, a silly ska song, and our marriage on my forearm in beautiful black script. It was bold and spontaneous (though I *did* think about it for weeks beforehand… I just hadn’t chosen the actual words yet).

My intention was to keep it a surprise — and it worked! — for about three days. I had started blabbing about it to the bridal party though so I figured I should tell him during the rehearsal dinner (and not wait until the actual wedding). I had made a card and printed out a picture and I gave it to him during dinner.

It was so cute and he cried. My bridesmaids cried. I was glad I was able to surprise him and that he appreciated it. It was just one of those unforgettable moments. Cheesy — I know — but it was perfect.

And, here we are, weeks later…and I still love my tattoo. It looks great. I wear cardigans to work nearly every day (it’s frickin’ freezing inside our buildings!) or I have chunky bracelets to stack on if I am in an environment where visible tattoos aren’t cool. I have zero regrets and I am glad that this will always be a part of me. :)

I guess I am a “tattoo person” now!

I wasn’t the only one with a surprise…Scott surprised me during the reception and it had to do with this same song….

Don’t Miss a Thing!

Comments

1. says

So SO cute!!! I love the way it looks on you! Love the thought of doing something that represents both of you but still your devotion to him! :) I am going to do something similar once my fiance and I get married!! So glad he liked it!!! :)

2. says

I love that!!! I’m not crazy about tattoos but there are some that are really nice.
    Khole and Lamar have each others initals on their hands, I like that also.
    Cute :)

3. says

First of all I love that song! I forget we share a love for Ska! :) I also love the look of the tattoo and how special it is — so many people have tattoos that have no meaning and this one is fantastic! I also love how you surprised him, the surprise on his face was PRICELESS.

4. says

That is a GREAT idea! I would love to get a tattoo on my wrist like that, but I can’t because of work. It looks awesome and I love all your wedding photos. It seemed like a blast!!

5. says

I’m not a huge tattoo person, but I have one. I love yours and the reason you got it! I’m really wanting another one. :) I think it’s so cute that you surprised him!

6. says

I love the way you showed him your tattoo. Its so neat. And the tattoo is so elegant, not cheesy or weird like a trucker. Its beautiful, and sweet.

7. says

That’s a fantastic tattoo, and I’m not usually one for script! I’m glad you did something that’s completely unique to you and your hubby. Can’t wait to hear the rest of the story!

8. says

I love it! I got a tattoo on my wrist afer my wedding with the letter C for my new last name. I wasn’t a tattoo girl either, now I am too. LOL.
    Congrats!

9. says

That is fantastic! It will be a great reminder when you are making choices in your marriage and look down and remember whose side you are on!