5 Tips For a Cheap & Easy Sunday Brunch + Grapefruit Mimosa Recipe

Sundays are typically my favorite day of the week. I’m well-rested (thanks to sleeping in!), and I’m ready to relax. I use Saturdays for errands usually, so Sundays feature a well-stocked beer cooler, a fridge full of yummy meals planned, and the promise of nice weather. The past few Sundays have been excellent, and the temperature is only climbing. Last Sunday I took the time to plan a quick and easy brunch for my family, and I was happy to spend $20 and set this out in under thirty minutes.

Having a nice breakfast outside can be easy and cheap, and I love finding ways to celebrate the weekend.

Quick Brunch Ideas

1. Shop ahead. Navigating the grocery store on an early Sunday morning is not fun. I promise. Also, depending on where you live, champagne cannot be purchased on Sunday mornings. That would be a bummer if you were trying to serve mimosas.

2. Pick an easy menu. Find a unique (yet simple!) way to serve bacon and eggs to impress your guests. I found an idea from Rachael Ray and seasoned it to our liking.
Bacon Egg Cup

Baked Bacon & Egg Cup

These little guys were SO easy to cook and were quite possibly the best breakfast item I’ve ever made. I consider these a new family favorite.

Each cup required two strips of bacon and one egg.

• Cook each bacon slice about three minutes on each side.
  • Chop bacon in half and line the bottom of the muffin tin cup. Next, take a full strip of bacon to line the sides of the cup.
  • Crack an egg into each cup.
  • Cook for about 15 minutes (longer if necessary) until the egg whites are firm.
  • Season! I used Old Bay. Other suggestions? Onion powder, my friend’s mom uses dill, or regular salt & pepper.

This is where I would link to the recipe online, but I can’t find it on her website. It was printed in her magazine recently.

3. Set up something interactive. DIY Cereal Bar? Yogurt Bar? Or, my favorite, create a Mimosa Bar! Let your guests mingle while crafting a creative cocktail or breakfast item.

Set up a quick mimosa bar for your next party!

For my very easy (and very cheap!) mimosa bar, I opted for champagne that was on sale. I added in orange and grapefruit juice, and I bought seasonal fruit. Strawberries are pretty much always on sale now, so I made sure to stock up!

Grapefruit Mimosa
Grapefruit Mimosa

Ingredients

• 1 part grapefruit juice
  • 1 part champage or sparkling wine
  • Orange Juice
  • Fresh raspberries

Instructions

1. Add grapefruit juice and champagne to a glass.
  2. Pour in a splash of orange juice.
  3. Top with fresh raspberries.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin
Raspberry Mimosa

4. Sit outside. Brunch is better outdoors. It’s a rule.

Mimosa Recipe

5. Celebrate your weekend! Sundays are great for recharging and getting energized for the long week ahead. Reflect on the week past and enjoy a (hopefully) sunny afternoon with family and friends.

Do you do anything special on the weekends?

Comments

1. Dawn Spatulas On Parade says

Brunch is always better outside, I agree. However today we’d need a boat, blanket and HUGE umbrella.

2. Susanna Barbee says

Great tips! I think brunch may be my favorite meal of the day. I love mimosas but have never tried a grapefruit mimosa. I think it’s about time some girlfriends and I made some.

3. Kung Phoo says

This is really great.. we are planning a brunch for our family in April, and these ideas are perfect.. Thank you!

4. Crystal says

Mmm those Mimosa’s look amazing and seriously – pretty much anything with bacon on it it delicious! Thanks for sharing!

5. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell says

I totally agree about lunch outside. That just makes it special. And your homemade mimosas are fab!

6. Kathryn Rawson says

Looks like the perfect start to a Sunday to me. And you had me at grapefruit! Unique spin to the classic drink for sure.

7. Eileen Layno says

As my hubby always says – “Bacon is the duct tape of food.” I have tried making bacon and egg cups and it did not last long. Haha. Thanks for sharing. I will try the raspberry and champagne mix this weekend.

8. Melanie S. says

Hmmm…I’ve got bacon. I’ve got eggs. I’ve got cups. I’ve already had breakfast, but who said you can’t have breakfast and brunch, right?

9. Sue says

Wow! Everything looks so good! And who doesn’t love a good mimosa? I cant wait to try making these myself, or at least the mimosa’s! LOL

10. Bekki says

These look super easy and that is what I am looking for with 2 kids running around my feet!! Love the mimosa too! Looks very refreshing!

11. angela says

i am loving the muffins. a cereal bar isn’t a bad idea. this will be a great idea and i’m sure my 5 year old will love it

12. Liza @ VFtV says

I really want those bacon and egg cups! I saw a “perfect Bacon Bowl” kitchen gadget at the store yesterday, and thought, “why would you waste money on that when you could just use a muffin tin?” And now I see a tin will, in fact, work. Can’t wait to make these.

13. Lauren Gray says

Rule 4. My favorite. Outdoors is always better! That is, if you live someplace that has beautiful outdoor weather pretty consistently. Luckily I’m in Florida too!

Stopping by from #SITSBlogging
    Lauren

14. Michelle Nahom says

That grapefruit mimosa looks perfect to start the morning off with! And those bacon and egg cups…I will have to try that…I make something that resembles a muffin with bacon and eggs…and my kids really like them. But they have to set up overnight, so I don’t make them a lot. Thanks for hosting – I really love your link party!

15. Monique Abrahamsen says

Can’t go wrong with a mimosa bar! I had one at my bridal shower and it was so fun and yummy. I like the idea of making bacon cups, my husband will love that!

Trackbacks

1. […] it’s a bit sunnier where you are, think about hosting a weekend brunch. I have quick brunch ideas, mimosa recipes, and easy ways to host a pool party with printables up on the blog. For something […]